I just got back from 3 weeks on the mainland. It's amazing to see what happens while you're gone!
My mystery banana has finally thrown a bloom. I walked right under it twice without seeing it! Odd that it threw off keiki before it bloomed. At least I'll know if it's tasty in 4 months or so.
The peanuts in the coffee bed are happy & starting to bloom.
The avocado (all 4 feet of it) is COVERED in about 300 blooms. Sadly I am supposed to cut them off this first year, but I'm going to confirm with the nursery before I kill off all those potential yummy avos!
All of the chilis, peppers, kale & chard recovered from transplanting & are going strong.
The quinoa was 3 inches tall when I left, it's now 3 FEET.
I found a mystery bean pod, popped it open & found 3 fat kindey beans. I have the worst luck with beans so this paltry 3 bean harvest is a big deal. I'll keep trying beans till the day I die.
There was a feral tomato of mystery variety when i left. Now it's unmistakably covered with yellow pear tomatoes! The feral cucumber is covered in small blooms. The oregano i planted near it survived fine, but NONE of the 100+ seeds I sowed came up.
The 100+ seeds I sowed in a raised bed are growing strong.
The onion & strawberry bed didn't show much progress. Nothing looks worse, but not better either. It's looks the same as when i left.
The garlic bed grew about 6" while I was gone.
The strawberries under the pineapples went ballistic. They definitely enjoy this arrangement.
I found out who was eating my strawberries. MY DOG. He waited until i weeded and turned my attention elsewhere...I glanced over to find him daintily nosing into the spikey pineapple leaves to snatch my ripe strawberry. I'll be damned.
My rice is 3 feet tall and very strong (finally)...it used to be spindly and easy to bend. Hopefully this is preparation to support big heads of rice grain :)
I have so much to do in the garden it overwhelms me sometimes.
I've realized I grow a lot of stuff that makes high-end chicken feed, so I want to get a whole bed of chicken feed plants going asap.
OH! I picked up powdered clay on the mainland so I can encapsulate my seed. I'm very excited to try this method, expecially for rice, quinoa and millet!
Off to water everything & doublecheck my list for the BIAN plant sale next Friday!
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment